Did you know that Disney and the Rose Parade have a history together over 75 years old? They will appear again this year in 2016 with a float reflecting the parade’s theme – “Find Your Adventure.” It will feature two of Disney’s most popular franchises – Star Wars and Frozen – on either side bracketing Sleeping Beauty Castle with Mickey and Minnie in the center waving to the crowds.
- Read more on this year’s float and ways you can participate in float building (although probably too late for this year)
As you can imagine, with so much history between them, there are lots of interesting things that have happened during that time. Here are 4 more fun facts you may not know about Disney and The Rose Parade thanks to Disneyland News:
- The first time Disney appeared in the Rose Parade was back in 1938 and featured characters from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.
- The Rose Queen and her court (along with the competing Rose Bowl football teams) have visited Disneyland every year since 1960
- Three times, someone representing the Disney company has served as Grand Marshall of the parade – Walt did it in 1966, his nephew Roy followed him in 2000, and Mickey Mouse was it in 2005, that time celebrating Disneyland’s 50th anniversary
- Disney holds the record for tallest float at 110 feet for its 2004 entry called “A Sudden Drop in Pitch” which featured the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror attraction
The parade begins at 8am PST so check it out and have fun! Happy New Year!